The Postgraduate Course on the "Materials Physics
and Technology "
(MPT) has been offered by the Department of Physics since academic year 1995-96,
and leads to an M.Sc. degree. Course graduates may then be accepted to work
towards a Ph.D. Diploma.
The course aims to produce Materials Scientists for research
centers, R&D departments, and the academia. Such graduates should reinforce
the scientific infrastructure of our country and the E.U. MPT graduates are
up-to-date with modern developments and research applications in the field of
Materials Science and Technology, in such way that they are able to contribute
to the demands of sustainable development.
- Strengthening of the interdisciplinary character and broadening of the
course’s specialization capacities in the field of Materials Science and Technology,
through the collaboration with the Institute of Material Science (ÉMS), NCRS
Demokritos and the Department of Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering
(MS&E) of Liverpool University. In addition the collaboration with a large
number of distinguished scientists from other research centers in Greece and
abroad has led to the international recognition of the PoM course as a network
of specialized scientists.
- Orientation courses :
1. Novel Materials
2. Materials and Environmental Effects.
- Student mobility to other research centers, inland or abroad, as well as
to the industry.
- Scholarships based on academic excellence.
- Promotion of interconnection with the industry at local and national level.
- Organization of international summer schools and seminars.
- Emphasis to the development of innovation producing capabilities to the
- Incorporation of recent research results into the educational process.
- Emphasis to practical training.
- Course modules on business dexterity in technological fields.
- Extensive usage of new educational technologies such as multimedia, educational
software, databases, and the internet.
- Internal auditing scheme and external evaluation by international referees.